Lawyers Marbella

Criminal record

Are you a foreigner and worried about your criminal record? Then this information can help you. In Spain, when a person commits any of the offences listed in the Criminal Code, they are recorded as criminal records. The same is true in other countries.
It is true that criminal records can make everyday life difficult in Spain: it will be very difficult for us to obtain or renew documents (such as visas, passports, etc.); it can also give us problems at work level; and in the case of very serious crimes it can lead to expulsion from Spanish territory. In short, criminal records do not play in our favor to continue in Spain.

However, this should not be too scary for us, because there is a solution: after some time the background can be cancelled.

How is this process done?

This is done by submitting an application to the Spanish Ministry of Justice. To do this, it is necessary to have complied with the waiting periods stipulated in the Law:

Six months, in case of light sentences.

Two years, in the case of penalties not exceeding 12 months and for reckless offences.

Three years, for the remaining less severe sentences of less than three years.

Five years, for the remaining less severe sentences of three years or more.

Ten years, in case of severe penalties.

If we have met this waiting period and have not committed any new offences, then we can submit the request to the Ministry. To do this, it is advisable to have the help of a lawyer specializing in aliens, as it will help you throughout the process.
This procedure has a resolution period of 3 months. It means that after that time you will have to be resolved, or else our request will be deemed to have been granted.

Please do not hesitate to contact Lawyers Marbella for more information. From our office in Marbella we can help you with all matters related to immigration law.